Get your Free Journal Pages Here

Tuesday, July 3, 2012


Intentions

I recently started a practice of setting my intentions for my day. I have goals and To- Do lists but this is different. My focus is more on the state of mind or the way I want to feel during my day. Happy right...no matter what! (All my pessimistic friends just threw up, I know... I know just hear me out.)  Here is an example; I intend to be patient throughout my day. Then my kids started fighting over a toy.  My first reaction might be to yell, but then I remember my intention and breath. After reconnecting I can calmly and patiently guide them through their disagreement. This takes practice. Life will throw some doosies at you to see if you can handle them. Each day it gets a little easier.


Crisis

There is always a challenge and sometimes someone else's crisis can also become yours. Setting an intention for the day helps you cope with the unforeseen problems.  Maybe your boss will lay a stack of files upon your desk and move up your deadlines. Maybe a friend calls with their latest meltdown and needs you to clean it up. Suddenly your day is spiraling in an unpleasant direction. However if you set an intention then you have a place to go back to. Take a deep breath and realign your actions with the state of mind you want to have. If you don't set your intentions someone else will set them for you. Don't give up that power!


Choose Happiness

It is easy to give the power of happiness to someone else or to your inner bully. I have found that setting intentions has helped me to be happier even when the world seems to be falling apart around me. I can hear the crying of my kids in the other room and I can go in that room with a positive intent and change the energy by just focusing my feelings. You can't control the world around you but you can control how you react to it.

Music in My Head

Matt Kearney " Nothing Left to Lose
Snow Patrol “Chasing Cars" 
Ingrid Michaelson " Be Ok"


On the Canvas

Sometimes I sit in front of a blank canvas and I just think about the feeling I want to portray in my painting. I write an intention in a journal or across my canvas. Below is a painting I did with the intent of being a calm mommy. First I painted with serene blues and tranquil purple hues. Then on a sudden whim I wanted red! As the painting developed I think it portrays a fiery crazy outside world, but a momma who keeps her chicks under her calm energy.



Till we meet again my creative friends
Jenn


No comments:

Post a Comment